What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a cutting-edge treatment that harnesses your body’s own natural healing powers to improve the appearance of your skin.As scientific evidence for the benefits of microneedling have become more widely known, the popularity of this powerful treatment has skyrocketed. So, if you’d like to find out more about it, or to book an appointment just ask one of our skincare professionals today.
Microneedling is particularly effective for reducing the visible signs of ageing, as well as sun damage, scarring, slackened skin, uneven skin tone, stretch marks and dilated blood vessels.
How does it work?
A device containing tiny needles is used to create thousands of microscopic punctures into the lower levels of your skin. This stimulates natural healing process in the area, which results in the improved health and appearance of your skin. To enhance the process, a nourishing serum and a mask is applied after the procedure and you will be given aftercare to carry out at home for the first day.
The science of microneedling is that each one of those microscopic punctures results in the brain responding as if you had an injury so blood rushes to the area, triggering a significant increase in collagen and elastin production. The result is firmer, fresher, healthier looking skin.
Microneedling is suitable for all skin types and can be done on both the face and body.
What are the benefits of microneedling?
- Microneedling produces incredible results without the need for invasive surgery.
- It uses your body’s own natural healing mechanism to rejuvenate your skin, delaying or minimising the need for Botox, fillers or surgical intervention.
- There is very little down time after this treatment and most clients return to work the next day.
- It is a very safe treatment and there is no lasting damage to the skin.
- Results can be seen after two to three weeks and your skin will continue to improve over several months as new collagen continues to be formed in this area.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many treatments will I require?
For optimum results, a course of six treatments at intervals of two weeks is normally recommended. You will start to see and feel the benefits of this treatment after around two weeks, and the appearance of your skin will continue to improve after this. As this treatment relies on your body’s own natural healing system rather than chemicals to work, it will take six to nine months to see the full results due to ongoing formation of collagen and elastin. This is natural and nothing to worry about. Top-up treatments will also be required periodically for maintenance.
Please note, that the success or longevity of this treatment is not guaranteed as treatment results vary from client to client.
Are there any possible side effects?
- It is possible that you may experience dryness and sensitivity with a flushed appearance, as the treatment can cause an increased sensitivity to vitamin A in your daily skin care products. This is nothing to worry about, and your skin should return to normal within a few days.
- If you are prone to getting cold sores, you may develop them after the treatment. It is advised that you use a suitable antiherpetic preparation, such as Zovirax, for a week before your treatment to minimise the side effects. If you do develop a cold sore, please treat as you normally would and contact your doctor.
- In order to minimise the risk of infection, please ensure you keep the area clean for the first two days after your treatment and follow the aftercare advised from your therapist.
- In the unlikely event that your skin becomes painful, inflamed and the redness increases, or you develop white spots that cannot be washed away, please consult us and your GP as soon as possible.
What would stop me from having this treatment?
Microneedling is unsuitable for you if any of the following applies to you:
- Skin cancer
- Skin infection
- Active acne
- Uncontrolled diabetes or psoriasis
- If you are having, or taking: anticoagulants, radiotherapy, chemotherapy or Roaccutane.
If you take aspirin, stop three days before the treatment, and please obtain your doctor’s consent.
If you are interested in this treatment, we recommend the following:
- It is highly recommended that you fully prepare your skin for the procedure by using Environ skincare products as soon as possible.
Coupling your microneedling treatment with Environ skincare will help you to achieveoptimumresults, as it supports the healing process, accelerates the production of collagen and elastin, and strengthens the skin.
Your therapist will create a bespoke skincare plan for your individual needs to ensure the best results.
- Take vitamin supplements to ensure that your body receives optimum nutrients to enhance the results of this treatment from within.
- Have Environ Active Vitamin facials as frequently as possible throughout your course of microneedlingtreatments. These can be done as often as a week either side of treatment.
- Patch test is required 72hours prior to treatment. Please be aware that a patch test doesn’t always fully determine an allergic reaction to topical anaesthetic.
By the evening of the day of your treatment, your skin may feel tight and will have a sunburnt appearance. This may feel a little uncomfortable, but it is completely normal.
After the treatment, we recommend that you:
- Cleanse your face with cooled boiled water and apply your aftercare serums as advised by your therapist.
- Avoid any products containing Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHAs) for the first two days.
- Avoid wearing make-up for two days after the treatment. After this period, we advise that you use mineral make-up that is free of irritants and kind to the skin.
- DO NOT take anti-inflammatories (such as Ibuprofen) as these will interfere with the healing process.
- Avoid smoking, as this floods your skin with damaging particles known as free radicals and limits the benefits of the treatment.
- Do not exercise for the first 24 hours, as the area needs to stay clean and free of excess sweat.
- Limit sun exposure and sunbeds for three weeks and no fake tan should be applied for the first 48 hours.